Friday, November 22, 2013

Another Perspective

My mom has 3 children. 
Me - the oldest, I'm 26 now. 
My sister, who is the middle child, she is 25 now and our little brother who is now 14. 
Since my Mom's passing my brother has moved to another state to live with his Dad. 
My sister is married and lives in another state as well and I live in Texas. 
So we're all a part. I kind of hate it, especially now.

My sister posted this status on her Facebook yesterday and I wanted to share it. I think it's sufficient to know how she feels in dealing with this. She always has a way of seeing a positive lesson from this experience when I can't put my own grief aside to see the value of these things. So, I wanted to share it. Some things have been changed/omitted for privacy reasons.

"On this day exactly one year ago, my sister and I were headed to --------, TX to surprise my mom for Thanksgiving. Today I'm having so many images of the smile that was on her face and the tears running down her cheeks as she saw her grandson and I get out of the car. A lot of memories from that day are flooding into my head as well as a lot of regrets. As a person who captures peoples memories on a daily basis it amazes me how few of my own I actually document. I regret not getting pictures of my mom and I, and my mom and her grandson. I regret that we chose to leave early Thanksgiving to go Black Friday shopping. If I knew then what I know now I never would have left, I'd give everything back that I bought just for those last few hours with her. 

I hope everyone realizes that the reason for Thanksgiving is not for the great deals the next morning or for the big football games that weekend. Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little. We take so much for granted and don't realize that our time is short. And spending those last few hours with someone we love is so much more valuable than running out to find that great deal or leaving because you don't wanna miss the big game. 

No matter how sad of a day today may be one thing that I am thankful for is the fact that this day opens my eyes. It makes me realize what I have and that there is no guaranteeing I'll have it tomorrow. Something this day is teaching me is to live each moment like it's my last and that being with the people who I love and who love me back is so much more important than anything else. And because of this I will not be going Black Friday shopping this year. I will be spending the day with my family and making memories. In case next year I can no longer make them!"

These are the only pictures I have from Thanksgiving last year.
My boyfriend, me, my little brother, my sister and my nephew last Thanksgiving at our Mom's

Mom teaching her only grandchild to use her motorized wheelchair like a race car. :)
(and my sister giving me a funny look)

1 comment: